- A trained senior clinical care support worker who competently delivers health and social care to and for people. They have a required level of knowledge and skill beyond that of the traditional healthcare assistant or support worker (Skills for Health, 2015).
- Band 4 NHS Careers Framework
- Designed to work across patient pathways and can offer additional flexibility in the delivery of new care models.
- Able to work across professional boundaries e.g. nursing, AHP, social work
- The Assistant Practitioners in England Report (SfH, 2015) identifies that stakeholders can clearly articulate the benefits of introducing the AP role, which include :
–Contribution improvements in quality, productivity and efficiency
–Able to work in a range of clinical, community and laboratory situations
–Increasingly seen in roles that cross health and social care and professional boundaries.