You will be aware that maternal mental health is highlighted nationally as a key development area. The National Maternity Review and the Five Year Forward View for Mental Health make clear that maternal mental health services must improve. The MBRRACE report shows that suicide and mental illness is a leading cause of death in the postpartum period in the UK.
Postpartum Psychosis (PP) is the most severe form of postnatal mental illness and accounts for a large proportion of maternal deaths. Any strategy for maternal mental health requires comprehensive training on managing Severe Mental Illness (SMI) in the perinatal period and the identification and management of Postpartum Psychosis.
NHS England has indicated intent to release funds of up to £100,000 to support workforce development for perinatal mental health services through Heath Education England (HEE).
We would like to inform you about a training package offered by leading perinatal mental health charity, Action on Postpartum Psychosis, which we hope will help you to develop your training plans in order to access HEE funding.
Action on Postpartum Psychosis (APP) is the national charity for women and families affected by Postpartum Psychosis. The charity is run by women and families with lived experience, academics, and expert clinicians. Our lived experience network of over 1000 women collaborate with leading clinical and academic experts, to facilitate: research; patient information development; health professional training; and an award winning PP peer support service.
Multi-professional Training package
APP offer a training package in Postpartum Psychosis and SMI in the perinatal period, delivered by a Consultant Perinatal Psychiatrist OR a Senior academic with international reputation, AND one of APP’s Experts by Experience.
The one-day training course is suitable for all professionals working with women and families in pregnancy and the perinatal period, including Psychiatrists, Midwives, Health Visitors, GPs, Obstetricians, Mental Health Nurses, Psychologists, IAPT workers, Psychotherapists, Social Workers, and Acute & Emergency staff.
By utilizing clinical experience, cutting-edge research, and the real experiences of affected women and families, the course will up-skill the workforce, developing expertise and empathetic understanding. Learning objectives will address domains in the PMH competency framework, with a specific focus on the risk areas of SMI and Postpartum Psychosis, including:
- The ‘Perinatal Frame of Mind’ – special issues for those with PP or SMI’s in the perinatal period.
- Domain 2 – Understanding the spectrum of illness; the experience, symptoms, prevalence, causes, risk factors of PP and SMI in the perinatal period, and impacts upon the woman, partner, family, bonding and parenting.
- Domain 3 – Communication - special issues for women with PP and SMI’s in the perinatal period
- Domain 4 – Feelings about baby and pregnancy – special issues for women with PP and SMI in the perinatal period
- Domain 5 - Impact of pregnancy on others – special issues for partners and families of those with PP or SMI’s in the perinatal period
- Domain 6 – Understanding difference, stigma and barriers to care – the experiences of women and families affected by PP and SMI’s; impact of stigma on access to care and recovery; peer support ameliorating the impacts of stigma.
- Domain 7 – Risks and protective factors – an in-depth focus on the identification and management of women with PP and SMI’s in the perinatal period; identifying and managing risk of suicide and risk to baby; communicating about suicide and risk to baby; understanding medication in pregnancy and the postpartum for women with SMI or at risk of SMI; appropriate care pathways, treatment, information and support needs.
- Domain 8 – Safeguarding vulnerable women and infants – special issues for women with PP or SMI’s.
- Domain 9 – Understanding and valuing the multidisciplinary team and pathway – special issues for women with PP or SMI’s.
APP have a strong track record in developing high quality training and resources, informed by the real experiences of women and families, and world leading experts in the field.
Booking and price information
To book an APP Expert by Experience and Clinical / Academic Expert for your training event, please contact us to discuss requirements and availability. The price for a one-day course starts from £3120 for up to 24 delegates (£130 per delegate) and includes training resources, a set of PP Insider Guides for each delegate, and our travel expenses to your site.
For further information visit: http://www.app-network.org/about-us/experts-by-experience-training-on-pp/
We would also be very pleased to hear from you if you would like to discuss how APP can help you set up a management pathway appropriate for women and families affected by PP, or to discuss how APP can provide specialist PP peer support in your region, from our experienced volunteers, with training, support, quality assurance, and safeguarding provided by APP.